Tips for UX Design Interns
As a UX designer, it is important to understand the basics of UX design and be familiar with the best practices to help you stay ahead of the curve. Here are some tips for UX Design Interns to help make the most out of their UX journey:
Understand UX fundamentals
- Read books about UX design philosophy, such as The Design of Everyday Things or Don’t Make Me Think.
- Listen to podcasts that focus on specific topics such as design thinking or research/testing.
- Take courses on UX design and user research fundamentals to gain more insight.
Stay up to date with UX design trends
- Follow UX and design blogs to stay up to date on new trends, tools and techniques.
- Subscribe to newsletters with, topics related to UX design that offer insights, interviews and more.
- Attend conferences related to UX and design to learn more about the current trends and find mentors.
Develop your design portfolio
- Start developing your portfolio while interning in order to showcase your work to employers
- Practice user testing and research to understand user needs
- Leverage other people’s work to inspire and inform your own
- Work on personal projects to refine your skills and demonstrate your unique style
Network and find mentors
- Attend UX and design meetups that can help you find mentors
- Join online forums such as Reddit or Slack for questions and discussions with other designers
- Connect with designers who have years of experience and can offer valuable advice.