What is Motion Design ?
Motion design is a subset of graphic design. It uses moving images to communicate ideas or storylines. Additionally, it involves the use of visual effects, animation and video editing techniques to create visuals that move.
Motion designers need to have a mastery of the tools they use to create their designs. Essential tools for motion design include:
- Adobe After Effects: This tool combines visual effects and animation tools to create stunning visuals.
- Adobe Photoshop: A flexible software that allows you to design and edit pixel-based artwork.
- Adobe Illustrator: A vector-based design software for creating logos, typography and illustrations.
- Cinema 4D: An advanced 3D motion graphics software used to create complex visuals and animations.
- Final Cut Pro: A user-friendly video editing software used to assemble and manipulate clips into a cohesive product.
Motion design can be complex, and most motion designers recommend completing an introductory course before jumping right in. There are several popular courses available such as:
- School of Motion: This is a well-known online provider of introductory and advanced courses for designers.
- Greyscalegorilla: An online platform with courses for motion designers of all levels.
- Lynda.com: An online library of motion design courses and tutorials.
Learning the tools and mastering the concepts are the most important foundations of motion design, however, it is important to maintain a good practice routine to stay fresh. Here are a few tips that motion designers recommend:
- Set aside time every week to practice your animation and motion design skills.
- Work on smaller projects so that you can focus on one skill at a time.
- Get inspiration from other motion designers by watching their work or browsing their portfolios.
- Network with other motion design professionals and take their feedback into account.
- Reflect on your work and look for areas of improvement.